    SubjectRe: Hardwired drivers are going away?

    Hello Alan ,

    On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Alan Cox wrote:
    > > > Urban legend.
    > > I do not agree . Got proof ? Yes that is a valid question .
    > Most of the rootkit type stuff I see nowdays includes code for loading
    > patches into module free kernels. Its a real no win. The better ones support
    > regexp scanning so they can patch kernels where the sysadmin thinks he/she
    > is cool and has hidden or crapped in
    Same as I am seeing . This does not eleviate the fact that
    modules can & are a still a security issue . Yes , sloppy
    administration is still the biggest culprit in 'most' compromises .

    > > > I defy you to measure it on x86
    > > OK ,How about sparc-64/alpha/ia64/... ?
    > Not generally found in your grandmothers PC
    No, But it is -mine- ! If I can not have complete control over
    my system due to the way the Fathers of this operating system
    are taking it I will have no choice but to use another or be stuck
    at a non-maintained version . Now mind you I LIKE LINUX !

    > > > tar or nfs mount; make modules_install.
    > > Please my laugh'o meter is stuck already . Sorry . JimL
    > Then fix it, because the above works well. Also remember that autoconfig
    > tools won't be able to guess remote machines very well 8)
    Show me , Please . I am not convinced . I shall try out the new
    level of kernel without a doubt . But , I find the concept that
    -everything- is dynamic to be wrong . Mind you My opinion .
    Twyl , JimL

    | James W. Laferriere | System Techniques | Give me VMS |
    | Network Engineer | P.O. Box 854 | Give me Linux |
    | | Coudersport PA 16915 | only on AXP |