    SubjectRe: Hardwired drivers are going away?
    > > Urban legend.
    > I do not agree . Got proof ? Yes that is a valid question .

    Most of the rootkit type stuff I see nowdays includes code for loading
    patches into module free kernels. Its a real no win. The better ones support
    regexp scanning so they can patch kernels where the sysadmin thinks he/she
    is cool and has hidden or crapped in System.map

    > > > case becouse the system can't know where the module will be located IIRC)
    > > I defy you to measure it on x86
    > OK ,How about sparc-64/alpha/ia64/... ?

    Not generally found in your grandmothers PC

    > > > 3. simplicity in building kernels for other machines. with a monolithic
    > > > kernel you have one file to move (and a bootloader to run) with modules
    > > > you have to move quite a few more files.
    > > tar or nfs mount; make modules_install.
    > Please my laugh'o meter is stuck already . Sorry . JimL

    Then fix it, because the above works well. Also remember that autoconfig
    tools won't be able to guess remote machines very well 8)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.020 / U:0.196 seconds]