    SubjectRe: nfs is stupid ("getfh failed")
    On Friday September 7, wrote:
    > Michael Rothwell wrote:
    > > server# tail /var/log/messages
    > > Sep 6 09:37:43 gateway rpc.mountd: authenticated mount request from
    > > for /export (/export)
    > > Sep 6 09:37:43 gateway rpc.mountd: getfh failed: Operation not permitted
    > I'm seeing this message quite often with one Linux 2.4.7 system
    > automounting another. As long as A has B's filesystem mounted, all is
    > ok. Then A times out, unmounts, and later wants to remount B's
    > filesystem. Then, sometimes, I see a message much like yours.
    > It doesn't seem to need a reboot to cause this problem, and the fix I
    > have found is to kill and restart the NFS server: /etc/init.d/nfs
    > restart.
    > I have no idea why it happens, or why restarting nfsd or mountd fixes it.

    Show me your /etc/exports....

    If you export a directory and a subdirectory of that directory - both
    on the same filesysem, you can get this.
    If you export a directory to both an IP address (or subnet) and a
    hostname (or wildcard or netgroup) this can also happen.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:03    [W:0.040 / U:151.472 seconds]