    SubjectRe: nfs is stupid ("getfh failed")
    On 09/07/2001 08:58 -0400, Michael Rothwell wrote:
    >> From: "Neil Brown" <neilb@cse.unsw.edu.au>
    >>
    >> > This is not allowed, and makes no sense.
    >>
    >> It apparently is (or was, anyway) allowed, because it worked until the
    >> server was rebooted. Fluke?
    >> Are you saying that, if I export "/export", I can mount "/export/home" from
    >> a client machine? That's nice.

    Yes. At least that's how Solaris, Irix, HP/UX, and several others do it. The
    general rule is something along the lines of "if /a is exported, anything that
    is a subdirectory of /a is accessible via NFS, so long as it is on the same
    device (partition - actually major/minor pair)". So, if /export/home in your
    case lives in the same file system as /export, it is accessible via NFS
    as well. Now if /export/home is it's own mount point (i.e. a separate file
    system), then it needs to be exported explicitly.

    >> > Simply remove the second line and your problems should go away.
    >>
    >> Thanks. I actually switched to two explicit exports; /export/files and
    >> /export/home, which works.

    This works as well, with the caveat that you cannot then mount /export itself
    on client machines.

    tw

    --
    twalberg@mindspring.com

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:02    [W:0.028 / U:1.068 seconds]