Subjectsuggestions for new kernel hacking-HOWTO
Hi all,

I am considering putting together a new, more in depth kernel hacking
HOWTO.

The existing HOWTO (by Rusty), although an excellent source of technical
information does not contain much practical advice on how to get
started.

Therefore I would like to propose the following structure (for your
comments):

- Intro
- Who is this document for etc.
- Prerequisites

- Key Kernel Concepts
(placing these in a good order is important)
- virtual memory/memory management
- virtual file system/IO management
- process/scheduling
- contexts/interrupts/exceptions
- system calls/signals/IPC
- boot sequence

- Kernel source tour
What goes where in the source tree

- Tools
- source code navigation (lxr, cscope, tags)
- source code manipulation (vim, diff, patch, RCS/CVS)

- How do I... ?
- Print messages to kernel logs
- create a new module
- Add a system call
- write ioctls
- Add a /proc entry
- Write a driver for a new device
- Add an option to the kernel configuation

- Kernel Debugging
- A word on debugging
- Different approaches
- local running kernel
- UML
- two box debugging (I have already write a sort of mini HOWTO
on this, which can be found at
http://www.kernelhacking.org/docs/2boxdebugging.txt)
- Setting up
- hardware