SubjectRe: suggestions for new kernel hacking-HOWTO
Date
In message <998602169.405.21.camel@elixr.jfreak> you write:
> Hi all,
>
> I am considering putting together a new, more in depth kernel hacking
> HOWTO.
>
> The existing HOWTO (by Rusty), although an excellent source of technical
> information does not contain much practical advice on how to get
> started.

This sounds fantastic! I'd always hoped that my document would be a
starting point for something more substantial, yet it never happened
8(

One word of warning: beware tying it too closely to shifting
architecture. In particular, the original HOWTO was aimed at pointing
experienced programmers in the right direction, not reading the code
to them.

Perhaps consider adding:

Kernel Style
Don't do it in the kernel
Don't sprinkle ifdefs
User interfaces: read/write better than ioctls
Architecture specific code & portability
GNU extensions

Kernel Politics:
Licencing
How to get a patch in
Who owns what code?

Hope that helps,
Rusty.
--
Premature optmztion is rt of all evl. --DK