    SubjectRe: [with-PATCH-really] highmem deadlock removal, balancing & cleanup

    On Fri, 25 May 2001, Rik van Riel wrote:
    > On Fri, 25 May 2001, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    >
    > > So I think I'll buy some experimentation. That HIGHMEM change is
    > > too ugly to live, though, I'd really like to hear more about why
    > > something that ugly is necessary.
    >
    > If you mean the "GFP_BUFFER allocations should fail instead
    > of looping forever" thing, it is because:

    No, I was thinking more of the dirty buffer balancing thing.

    It seems to have this hardcoded notion of "DMA + NORMAL", which is just
    wrong. There could be more zones that are acceptable to buffers, so what
    it _should_ do is to just walk the zone list that GFP_BUFFER points to.

    Linus

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:54    [W:2.414 / U:0.264 seconds]