    SubjectRe: alpha iommu fixes
    On Sun, May 20, 2001 at 01:16:25PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
    > Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
    > >
    > > On Sun, May 20, 2001 at 03:49:58PM +0200, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
    > > > they returned zero. You either have to drop the skb or to try again later
    > > > if they returns zero.
    > >
    > > BTW, pci_map_single is not a nice interface, it cannot return bus
    > > address 0,
    >
    > who says?
    >
    > A value of zero for the mapping is certainly an acceptable value, and it
    > should be handled by drivers.

    this is exactly why I'm saying pci_map_single currently is ugly in
    declaring a retval of 0 as an error, because as you also explicitly said
    above bus address 0 is perfectly valid bus adress, so my whole point is
    that I'd prefer to change the API of pci_map_single to notify of faliure
    not returning 0 like it does right now in 2.4.5pre3 and all previous 2.4
    kernels but via a parameter, so bus address zero returns a valid bus
    address as it should be just now (but it isn't right now).

    > In fact its an open bug in a couple net drivers that they check the
    > mapping to see if it is non-zero...

    if a driver is catching the faluire of pci_map_single by checking if the
    bus address returned is zero such driver is one of the few (or the only
    one) correct driver out there.

    As it stands right now a bus address of 0 means pci_map_single failed.

    For pci_map_sg if it returns zero it means it failed too.

    Andrea

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:53    [W:0.025 / U:30.312 seconds]