    SubjectRe: [patch] vmfixes-2.4.0-test9-B2 - fixing deadlocks
    bert hubert wrote:

    > On Mon, Sep 25, 2000 at 12:13:42AM +0200, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, Sep 24, 2000 at 10:43:03PM +0100, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
    >>
    >>> any form of serialisation on the quota file). This feels like rather
    >>> a lot of new and interesting deadlocks to be introducing so late in
    >>> 2.4. :-)
    >>
    > True. But they also appear to be found and solved at an impressive rate.
    > These deadlocks are fatal and don't hide in corners, whereas the previous mm
    > problems used to be very hard to spot and fix, there not being real
    > showstoppers, except for abysmal performance. [1]
    >
    > Since Rik's stuff was merged, the number of eyeball hours devoted to MM have
    > skyrocketed, whereas the previous incarnations had far smaller audiences.
    > The patches are barely a week in, and look how much has been improved that
    > hadn't been found by the people working with Rik.
    >
    > It's tempting to revert the merge, but let's work at it a bit longer. There
    > are problems, but we are solving them rapidly and both performance and
    > design of the new MM are pretty pleasing.
    >
    > Let's not waste this opportunity.

    I agree. I have seen really fabulous system response since Rik's
    changes were merged in.
    I have managed to crash my machine a couple of times (I am working on
    getting a
    serial debugging connection set up, since I don't see any OOPS
    messages), but I think this
    is not terribly surprising. My impression is that system responsiveness
    is much improved.
    Let's hang in there a bit longer. We are making rapid progress on
    testing and fixing.

    Miles

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.024 / U:0.064 seconds]