SubjectRe: [patch] vmfixes-2.4.0-test9-B2 - fixing deadlocks
bert hubert wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 25, 2000 at 12:13:42AM +0200, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Sep 24, 2000 at 10:43:03PM +0100, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
>>
>>> any form of serialisation on the quota file). This feels like rather
>>> a lot of new and interesting deadlocks to be introducing so late in
>>> 2.4. :-)
>>
> True. But they also appear to be found and solved at an impressive rate.
> These deadlocks are fatal and don't hide in corners, whereas the previous mm
> problems used to be very hard to spot and fix, there not being real
> showstoppers, except for abysmal performance. [1]
>
> Since Rik's stuff was merged, the number of eyeball hours devoted to MM have
> skyrocketed, whereas the previous incarnations had far smaller audiences.
> The patches are barely a week in, and look how much has been improved that
> hadn't been found by the people working with Rik.
>
> It's tempting to revert the merge, but let's work at it a bit longer. There
> are problems, but we are solving them rapidly and both performance and
> design of the new MM are pretty pleasing.
>
> Let's not waste this opportunity.

I agree. I have seen really fabulous system response since Rik's
changes were merged in.
I have managed to crash my machine a couple of times (I am working on
getting a
serial debugging connection set up, since I don't see any OOPS
messages), but I think this
is not terribly surprising. My impression is that system responsiveness
is much improved.
Let's hang in there a bit longer. We are making rapid progress on
testing and fixing.

Miles

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.453 / U:0.100 seconds]