SubjectUpdated 2.4 status/todo list
From

Thanks to Al Viro, Jeff Garzik, Arjan van de Ven, Davem, Thomas Hiller,
Alan Cox, and any other whom I might have missed towards getting this
list more up-to-date.

I've also arranged to post the latest version of this list at:

http://linux24.sourceforge.net

At the moment I'm only using the sourceforge project web page; this is
because my home DSL line is only 416k, and I didn't want it to get
Slashdotted.

As a preemptive strike, everyone and his brother has approached me
suggesting that I use their favorite bug tracking system. The answer
which I'm giving folks is that for now, trying to get the information
into a sane state is far more important than the mechanism of which bug
tracking system to use. At the moment, the hardest parts of the problem
are:

* Figuring out when Linus has applied a patch that fixes a
particular item on the bug list.

* Determining when someone complains whether it's a real bug or
not, and if so, how important is it.

* Ditto for when someone posts a patch.

* Figuring out what Alan meant by descriptive items such
as "Check all devices use resources properly"
(If anyone has a copy of Vulcan Mind Melds for Dummies,
let me know. :-)

Anyway, here's the latest list. Enjoy.....

- Ted

Linux 2.4 Status/TODO Page

Important note! I just recently inherited this list from Alan, so it
may not be fully accurate yet. Please send updates to tytso@mit.edu.

Last modified: [tytso:20000728.1115EDT]

Should Be Fixed (Confirmation Wanted)

* IDE fails on some VIA boards (eg the i-opener)
* Floppy driver broken by VFS changes. Other drivers may be too
(Stuff gets called after _close now - unload race possibly too)
* Fbcon races
* Fix all remaining PCI code to use pci_enable_device (mostly done)

Capable Of Corrupting Your FS

* Use PCI DMA by default in IDE is unsafe (must not do so on via VPx
x<3)
* Data corruption on IDE disks (Generic PCI DMA and SiS support
(Steven Walter)

Security

* Fix module remove race bug (still to be done: TTY, ldisc, I2C,
video_device, network devices(?) - Al Viro)
* access_process_mm oops/lockup if task->mm changes (Manfred) [user
can cause deliberately]

Boot Time Failures

* AHA29xx driver appears to stomp other cards (may be BIOS)
* AHA27xx is broken (maybe 28xx too)
* Use PCI DMA 'lost interrupt' problem with some hw [which ?] (NEC
Versa LX with PIIX tuning)
* HT6560/UMC8672 ide sets up stuff too early (before region stuff
can be done)
* Crashes on boot on some Compaqs ? (may be fixed)
* Boot hangs on a range of Dell docking stations (Latitude)

Compile-time failures

* pdc202xx.c doesn't compile under test5

In Progress

* Merge the network fixes (DaveM)
* Finish I2O merge (Intel/Alan)
* Exploitable leak in file locking (Willy)
* Restore O_SYNC functionality (Stephen) - core code and ext2 done

Obvious Projects For People (well if you have the hardware..)

* nNCR5380 isnt smp safe
* DMFE is not SMP safe
* Make syncppp use new ppp code
* Fix SPX socket code
* Merge the 2.2 ServeRAID driver into 2.4

Fix Exists But Isnt Merged

* Update SGI VisWS to new-style IRQ handling (Ingo)
* 64bit lockf support
* Support MP table above 1Gig (Ingo)
* Dont panic on boot when meeting HP boxes with wacked APIC table
numbering (AC)
* Scheduler bugs in RT (Dimitris)
* HFS is still broken
* AIC7xxx doesnt work non PCI ? (Doug says OK, new version due
anyway)
* Fix boards with different TSC per CPU and kill TSC use on them
* Floppy last block cache flush error
* TB Multisound driver hasnt been updated for new isa I/O totally.

Compatibility Errors

* Xterm broke in 2.3.99pre6 (FIONREAD/select loop)

To Do

* mount crashes on Alpha platforms
* Check all devices use resources properly
* Tulip hang on rmmod/crashes sometimes
* Devfs races (mostly done - Al Viro)
* Fix further NFS races (Al Viro)
* Test other file systems on write
* Audit all char and block drivers to ensure they are safe with the
2.3 locking - a lot of them are not especially on the
read()/write() path.
* Keyboard/mouse problems (may be fixed ?)
* Fix mount failures due to copy_* user mishandling
* Fix default mount behaviour to disallow repeat mounting
* Check all file systems are either LFS compliant or error large
files
* Issue with notifiers that try to deregister themselves? (lnz)
* Mount of new fs over existing mointpoint should return an error
unless forced (Andrew McNabb, Alan Cox)
* Kernel build has race conditions when building modversions.h
(Mikael Pettersson)

To Do But Non Showstopper

* Finish 64bit vfs merges (lockf64 and friends missing)
* Go through as 2.4pre kicks in and figure what we should mark
obsolete for the final 2.4
* Union mount (Al Viro)
* Per Process rtsigio limit
* iget abuse in knfsd
* Some people report 2.3.x serial problems
* USB hangs on APM suspend on some machines
* ISAPnP IRQ handling failing on SB1000 + resource handling bug
* DVD-RAM is apparently not working for write currently (Rogier
Wolff)
* Parallel ports should set SA_SHIRQ if PCI (eg in Plip)
* Devfs compiled in but not mounted causes crap for ->mnt_devname of
root (Al Viro)
* PCMCIA/Cardbus hangs, IRQ problems. (Basically unusable - Hinds
pcmcia code is reliable)
+ PCMCIA crashes on unloading pci_socket
+ yenta (PCMCIA) and pci_socket modules have mutual dependency
(cardbus_register, yenta_operations) (test5, worked in test3)

To Check

* Check O_APPEND atomicity bug fixing is complete
* Protection on i_size (sct) [Al Viro mostly done]
* Mikulas claims we need to fix the getblk/mark_buffer_uptodate
thing for 2.3.x as well
* Network block device seems broken by block device changes
* VFS?VM - mmap/write deadlock (demo code seems to show lock is
there)
* rw sempahores on page faults (mmap_sem)
* kiobuf seperate lock functions/bounce/page_address fixes
* Fix routing by fwmark
* rw semaphores on inodes to fix read/truncate races ? [Probably
fixed]
* Not all device drivers are safe now the write inode lock isnt
taken on write
* Multiwrite IDE breaks on a disk error [minor issue at best]
* ACPI/APM suspend issue - IDE related stuff ?
* NFS bugs are fixed
* Chase reports of SMB not working
* IRDA calls get random bytes before random is set up
* Some AWE cards are not being found by ISAPnP ??
* SHM segments not always being detached and destroyed right ?
* RAM disk contents vanishing on cramfs (block change) and bforget
cases
* ACPI hangs on boot for some systems (Are there any cases left ?)

Drivers In 2.2 not 2.4

Probably Post 2.4

* per super block write_super needs an async flag
* addres_space needs a VM pressure/flush callback (Ingo)
* per file_op rw_kiovec

Fixed

* Incredibly slow loopback tcp bug (believed fixed about 2.3.48)
* COMX series WAN now merged
* VM needs rebalancing or we have a bad leak
* SHM works chroot
* SHM back compatibility
* Intel i960 problems with I2O
* Symbol clashes and other mess from _three_ copies of zlib!
* PCI buffer overruns
* Shared memory changes change the API breaking applications (eg
gimp)
* Finish softnet driver port over and cleanups
* via rhine oopses under load ?
* SCSI generic driver crashes controllers (need to pass
PCI_DIR_UNKNOWN..)
* UMSDOS fixups resync (not quite done)
* Make NTFS sort of work
* Any user can crash FAT fs code with ftruncate
* AFFS fixups
* Directory race fix for UFS
* Security holes in execve()
* Lan Media WAN update for 2.3
* Get the Emu10K merged
* Paride seems to need fixes for the block changes yet
* Kernel corrupts fs and gs in some situations (Ulrich has demo
code)
* 1.07 AMI MegaRAID
* Merge 2.2.15 changes (Alan)
* Get RAID 0.90 in (Ingo)
* S/390 Merge
* NFS DoS fix (security)
* Merge the RIO driver
* Fix Space.c duplicate string/write to constants
* Elevator and block handling queue change errors are all sorted
* Make sure all drivers return 1 from their __setup functions (Done
?)
* Enhanced disk statistics
* Complete vfsmount merge (Al Viro)
* Merge removed-buf-open directory stuff into VFS (Al Viro)
* Problems with ip autoconfig according to Zaitcev
* NFS causes dup kmem_create on reload (Trond)
* vmalloc(GFP_DMA) is needed for DMA drivers (Ingo)
* TLB flush should use highest priority (Ingo)
* SMP affinity code creates multiple dirs with the same name (Ingo)
* Set SMP affinity mask to actual cpu online mask (needed for some
boards) (Ingo)
* heavy swapping corrupts ptes (believed so)
* pci_set_master forces a 64 latency on low latency setting
devices.Some boards require all cards have latency <= 32
* msync fails on NFS (probably fixed anyway)
* Find out what has ruined disk I/O throughput. (mostly)
* PIII FXSAVE/FXRESTORE support
* The netdev name changing stuff broke GRE
* put_user is broken for i386 machines (security) - sem stuff may be
wrong too
* BusLogic crashes when you cat /proc/scsi/BusLogic/0 (Robert de
Vries)
* Finish sorting out VM balancing (Rik Van Riel, Juan Quintela et
al)
* Fix eth= command line
* 8139 + bridging fails
* RtSig limit handling bug
* Signals leak kernel memory (security) [FIX in ac tree]
* TTY and N_HDLC layer called poll_wait twice per fd and corrupt
memory
* ATM layer calls poll_wait twice per fd and corrupts memory
* Random calls poll_wait twice per fd and corrupts memory
* PCI sound calls poll_wait twice per fd and corrupts memory
* sbus audio calls poll_wait twice per fd and corrupts memory
* IBM MCA driver breaks on Device_Inquiry at boot
* SHM code corrupts memory (Russell)
* Linux sends a 1K buffer with SCSI inquiries. The ANSI-SCSI limit
is 255.
* Linux uses TEST_UNIT_READY to chck for device presence on a
PUN/LUN. The INQUIRY is the only valid test allowed by the spec.
* truncate_inode_pages does unsafe page cache operations
* Fix the ptrace code to be back compatible and add a new PTRACE
call set for getting the PIII extra registers
* EPIC100 fixes
* Tlan and Epic100 crash under load
* Fix hpfs_unlink (Al Viro)
* exec loader permissions
* Locking on getcwd
* Loopback fs hangs
* E820 memory setup causes crashes/corruption on some laptops[**VERY
NASTY**] (fixed in test5)
* Debian report that the gcc 2.95 possibly miscompiles fault.c or
mm/remap.c (Perl script available from Arjan) (fixed in test2 or
3)
* Dcache threading (Al Viro)
* Sockfs races (removing NULL ->i_sb stuf) (Al Viro)
* Module remove race bug (done: anything with file_operations, fb
stuff, procfs stuff - Al Viro)
* DEFXX driver appears broken (reported fixed by Jeff Garzik)
* Some FB drivers check the A000 area and find it busy then bomb out
(checked and fixed, reported by Jeff Garzik)
* Stick lock_kernel() calls around OSS driver with issues to hard to
fix nicely for 2.4 itself (Alan, fixed)
* Merge the current Compaq RAID driver into 2.4 (fixed, reported by
thomas.hiller@sap.com)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.065 / U:0.056 seconds]