    SubjectRe: Scheduled Transfer Protocol on Linux
    > : Maybe if you are talking about huge disk cages, and the cost was amortized
    > : over a bunch of disks it would be feasible, but if you are talking about
    > : single drives, this is sheer madness.
    >
    > To you, perhaps. I'll tell you this: I run a software business on Linux.
    > I can get 20GB drives for $200. If I could get 20GB drives with Linux
    > running on them for $300, I'd be buying them like cupcakes.

    Why? So you can log in to your disk drives and run emacs?

    If there was some purpose that running Linux on a drive served, it might
    justify and extra $100 cost. I can't see any purpose to it. Yes, you could
    telnet into the thing and view your drive geometry, bad sector list,
    statistics, etc. You don't need to be running a GP/OS on your disk to get
    that information.

    I would much rather see that $100 going towards more storage capacity and
    buffering, rather than a CPU running linux. I think a lot of people would
    agree with me on that one.

    --
    Zachary Amsden zamsden@engr.sgi.com (650) 933-6919 09U-510 Core Protocols