SubjectRe: Capturing all keys on more-than-102-keys keyboards
    From vojtech@suse.cz Sat Feb 12 11:21:52 2000

On Fri, Feb 11, 2000 at 05:44:05PM +0100, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:

> Note that zeroes are an internal buffer overrun message from the
> ... keyboard

... And, they're not exactly buffer overflow - they mean
'ambiguous key combination pressed'
ie. too many keys pressed to confuse the keyboard matrix.

:-)

Some docs I wrote 5 years ago say:

Three common causes for keyboard error are:
(i) several keys pressed simultaneously,
(ii) keyboard buffer overflow,
(iii) parity error on the serial line used by keyboard
and keyboard controller for communication.
The error reported is ff in scancode mode 1, and 00 in
scancode modes 2 and 3.
If translation is on, both 00 and ff are translated as ff.

[So, this agrees with both Maciej and Vojtech and is a bit more specific.
More in particular it says that we should never see a 00 in ordinary use,
since by default translation is on, and all of these errors yield ff.
Do you both agree with this description? I added this text fragment to
http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/kbd/scancodes-1.html#ss1.2
]

Andries

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.054 / U:0.120 seconds]