    SubjectRe: About Celeron processor memory barrier problem
    Erik Mouw wrote:

    > On Sat, Dec 23, 2000 at 09:21:51AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > > A Celeron isn't a PIII, and you shouldn't tell the configure that it is.
    >
    > Well, some Celerons are. My laptop has a Celeron with a Coppermine
    > core, so it is PIII based. Here is the output from /proc/cpuinfo:
    >
    > processor : 0
    > vendor_id : GenuineIntel
    > cpu family : 6
    > model : 8
    > model name : Celeron (Coppermine)
    > stepping : 1
    > cpu MHz : 501.140
    > cache size : 128 KB
    > fdiv_bug : no
    > hlt_bug : no
    > f00f_bug : no
    > coma_bug : no
    > fpu : yes
    > fpu_exception : yes
    > cpuid level : 2
    > wp : yes
    > flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse
    > bogomips : 999.42

    I also have a Celeron 600 in my Compaq 5000, but even with the output
    below, I am not sure this is what Linus is talking about! I believe
    Linus is trying to say, "We HAVE configurations set for that specific
    architecture, so please USE them." However, I suppose you are saying you
    will get better performance from selecting PIII due to this output? Let
    me know ...

    jrose$ cat /proc/info

    processor : 0
    vendor_id : GenuineIntel
    cpu family : 6
    model : 8
    model name : Celeron (Coppermine)
    stepping : 3
    cpu MHz : 598.064
    cache size : 128 KB
    fdiv_bug : no
    hlt_bug : no
    f00f_bug : no
    coma_bug : no
    fpu : yes
    fpu_exception : yes
    cpuid level : 2
    wp : yes
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat
    pse36 mmx fxsr sse
    bogomips : 1192.76

    Cheers,

    Jeff