SubjectRe: About Celeron processor memory barrier problem
On Thu, Dec 23, 1999 at 05:24:43PM +0800, michael chen wrote:
> I found that when I compiled the 2.4 kernel with the option
> of Pentium III or Pentium 4 on a Celeron's PC, it could cause the
> system hang at very beginning boot stage, and I found the problem
> is cause by the fact that Intel Celeron doesn't have a real memory
> barrier,but when you choose the Pentium III option, the kernel
> assume the processor has a real memory barrier.

I think there is some confusion in the name "Celeron". AFAIK there are
two kinds of Celerons: the original PII based Celeron, or the newer
PIII based Celeron. My laptop has a PIII (Coppermine) based Celeron,
and it boots perfectly well without your patch.

If you are using a PII based Celeron, you should compile the kernel
with support for the "Pentium-Pro/Celeron/Pentium-II". You certainly
should not try to run a kernel with support for P4 on a "lower" CPU,
read the documentation about CONFIG_M386 in Documentation/Configure.help
for more information.

Erik

Delft University of Technology, PO BOX 5031, 2600 GA Delft, The Netherlands
Phone: +31-15-2783635 Fax: +31-15-2781843 Email: J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl