SubjectRe: non-gcc linux? (was Re: Where did kgcc go in 2.4.0-test10?)
   Date: 	Thu, 02 Nov 2000 12:31:51 -0700
From: Tim Riker <Tim@Rikers.org>

Me or Alan? I did not mean this as a dig. I feel strongly that one
should have the choice here. I do not choose to enforce my beliefs on
anyone else. I am suggesting only that others should provide the same
courtesy. I truly meant "Thank you for you opinion". I feel the
community benefits from the differing opinions contained within it.

Yes, but that argument doesn't hold once you start asking the everyone
to work on making that choice available. The question that some part of
the community may ask is --- why should we help you make it possible to
use a propietary C compiler?

Choice also implies a choice not to work on things which help some
particular person's pet cause, whether that is C++ kernel code, or
propietary C compilers. If it makes the code harder to maintain or more
complex, it impacts everyone, and it's fair to ask the question whether
or not the feeling "one should have the choice here" is worth the cost
which you're asking everyone to bear.

- Ted

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:45    [W:0.095 / U:0.292 seconds]