SubjectRe: non-gcc linux? (was Re: Where did kgcc go in 2.4.0-test10?)
ok, a very valid point. The "C++ kernel code" reference is very telling.
(ouch). ;-)

Obviously the changes to support non-gcc compilers should have the goal
of minimal impact on gcc users lives. I recognize that the mainstream
will still use gcc.

Q: Why should we help you make it possible to use a proprietary C
compiler?

This is right on the money. I hope to show that is is all part of "World
Domination". ;-) I can easily see other paths to get there though, so
why this one?

As is being discussed here, C99 has some replacements to the gcc syntax
the kernel uses. I believe the C99 syntax will win in the near future,
and thus the gcc syntax will have to be removed at some point. In the
interim the kernel will either move towards supporting both, or a
quantum jump to support the new gcc3+ compiler only. I am hoping a
little thought can get put into this such that this change will be less
painful down the road.

I hope that I can lend some time to this project and save the rest of
the community time in the long run. Benefit our projects in the short
term. And impact the rest of the linux-kernel community as little as
possible in the short term.

How does that sound for a way forward?

--
Tim Riker - http://rikers.org/ - short SIGs! <g>
All I need to know I could have learned in Kindergarten