On Mon, 9 Oct 2000, Andre Tomt wrote:

> > patches is ok, but I just want to know that I'm going to get more
> > than 10M/s out of the drives, and not fry them. Those are my

It will not fry your drives, if your drives got fried, I want to know.
I want serial numbers and the maker and when/where they were returned.

> > main concerns, but I'd just like to know what the average
> > developer thinks of the idea of forking out cash for a highend
> > system right now and wether or not it is worth it yet.
>
> I have been using a Asus K7M motherboard for a while, and I have nothing
> but positive things to say about athlons. Both Linux 2.2.x and 2.4test
> works perfectly (in 2.2.x I can't get the IDE drives above UDMA33 mode,
> but my IDE drives does only about 24-25mB/s anyhows so it's not really a
> concern)

You are doing Ultra-66 speeds my friend.
The fastest ATA drives out that are not public yet are in 39-42mB/s.
Also SCSI can not sustain rates much better than maybe 60mB/s.

Sure I can get 100mB/s in ATA on an analizer as can SCSI do 160mB/s in
that environment.

Not until media/platter densities get to 25MB/platter with 15K RPM drives
will we see even disk IO approach 100mB/s.

I just wish people could understand that these are max-transfer rates and
that drives do not exist that can run kind of IO in a sustained rate.

Cheers,

Andre Hedrick
The Linux ATA/IDE guy

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:39    [W:1.307 / U:0.028 seconds]