    SubjectRe: [RFC] change in /proc/devices
    On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, Alexander Viro wrote:

    > On 22 Jan 2000, david parsons wrote:
    >
    > > In article <linux.kernel.Pine.GSO.4.10.10001222307410.27195-100000@weyl.math.psu.edu>,
    > > Alexander Viro <viro@math.psu.edu> wrote:
    > >
    > > >(I _really_ don't see the point in separate names for IDE interfaces here,
    > >
    > > Because, unlike scsi, ide majors are randomly scattered all over g-d's
    > > creation. If you've got some (puke) userland script faking devfs
    > > (like recent MAKEDEV's) it will probably care about the difference
    > > between ide0, ide1, ide2, and so on.
    > >
    > > Changing sort order shouldn't matter, but pulling information out does.
    >
    > Humpf... You know, there may be a better way to do it. What would you say
    > about:
    >
    > $ cat /proc/drivers/block/devices
    > 0300[40] hda
    > 0340[40] hdb
    > 2100[40] hde
    2100[40] hdc not e
    > 2140[40] hdf
    2140[40] hdd not f

    0300 hda, 0340 hdb
    2100 hdc, 2140 hdd

    ./linux/init/main.c

    #ifdef CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE
    { "hda", 0x0300 },
    { "hdb", 0x0340 },
    { "hdc", 0x1600 },
    { "hdd", 0x1640 },
    { "hde", 0x2100 },
    { "hdf", 0x2140 },
    { "hdg", 0x2200 },
    { "hdh", 0x2240 },
    { "hdi", 0x3800 },
    { "hdj", 0x3840 },
    { "hdk", 0x3900 },
    { "hdl", 0x3940 },
    { "hdm", 0x5800 },
    { "hdn", 0x5840 },
    { "hdo", 0x5900 },
    { "hdp", 0x5940 },
    { "hdq", 0x5A00 },
    { "hdr", 0x5A40 },
    { "hds", 0x5B00 },
    { "hdt", 0x5B40 },
    #endif

    > 0800[10] sda
    > etc.
    > If anything, it simplifies MAKEDEV-style scripts big way. And has a benefit
    > of making them work with any allocation scheme for device numbers. Format
    > is obvious: "%04x[%x] %s", first_device_number, amount, name. If you
    > really want it we might add driver name in the end of the thing, but that
    > might be an overkill. Comments?
    >

    > -

    Andre Hedrick
    The Linux ATA/IDE guy

    THE USE OF EMAIL FOR THE TRANSMISSION OF UNSOLICITED COMMERCIAL
    MATERIAL IS PROHIBITED UNDER FEDERAL LAW (47 USC 227). Violations may
    result in civil penalties and claims of $500.00 PER OCCURRENCE
    (47 USC 227[c]). Commercial spam WILL be forwarded to postmasters.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.030 / U:60.680 seconds]