SubjectRe: [RFC] change in /proc/devices

On 22 Jan 2000, david parsons wrote:

> In article <linux.kernel.Pine.GSO.4.10.10001222307410.27195-100000@weyl.math.psu.edu>,
> Alexander Viro <viro@math.psu.edu> wrote:
>
> >(I _really_ don't see the point in separate names for IDE interfaces here,
>
> Because, unlike scsi, ide majors are randomly scattered all over g-d's
> creation. If you've got some (puke) userland script faking devfs
> (like recent MAKEDEV's) it will probably care about the difference
> between ide0, ide1, ide2, and so on.
>
> Changing sort order shouldn't matter, but pulling information out does.

Humpf... You know, there may be a better way to do it. What would you say
about:

$ cat /proc/drivers/block/devices
0300[40] hda
0340[40] hdb
2100[40] hde
2140[40] hdf
0800[10] sda
etc.
If anything, it simplifies MAKEDEV-style scripts big way. And has a benefit
of making them work with any allocation scheme for device numbers. Format
is obvious: "%04x[%x] %s", first_device_number, amount, name. If you
really want it we might add driver name in the end of the thing, but that
might be an overkill. Comments?

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.080 / U:0.052 seconds]