    SubjectRe: > 15,000 Simultaneous Connections
    In article <> you wrote:

    > Now, say I wanted to setup a server which could handle 15,000 persistant
    > connections simultaneously. Each connection would average about 10
    > bytes/second which would bring the total bandwidth to around 146 KB/s. The
    > server needs to be TCP based.

    I think this is a serious problem because of the RAM requirements! Think
    about the amount of memory used for the socket-buffers alone....

    For the server: Because of the huge number of connections, the amount of
    memory used per connection must be as minimal as possible, so using 1 thread
    per connection (8Kb stack times 15000 = 117Mb !) is out of the question.

    SIGIO would be a nice way of knowing which connection has some data, but at
    15000 connections, memory requirements might lead to the conclusion that you
    need some sort of "private tcp/ip stack just for this cause" doing
    everything at interrupt-level. This, of course, would not be nothing for
    Linux, and the result probably isn't "Linux" as we know it, but some
    (hardware) vendors do such souped-up stuff for their server-boxes..

    Arjan van de Ven

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.019 / U:50.832 seconds]