    SubjectRe: > 15,000 Simultaneous Connections
    At 05:27 AM 9/6/99 +0000, Steve Underwood wrote:
    > > >I think a HOWTO on this subject might be in order :)
    > >
    > > i'm not sure this can be covered in a HOWTO document.
    > > don't take this the wrong way, but if you have to ask how to code something
    > > for efficiency in this manner, expecting to find samples in a HOWTO is
    > > rather much a pipe dream.
    >I think that is true of a genuine HOWTO. I do wish someone would produce a
    >of the strategies used by major applications, though. It would make assessing
    >existing solutions for their strengths and weaknesses so much easier. Its
    >something large numbers of us do independantly, with consequent wasting of
    >humanity's precious resources. I'm not volunteering, so I can't expect
    >anyone else
    >to either. It would be real useful, though.

    i agree that many people have individually gone over the same things over
    and over, to find the best way to do something.

    however, it is a chicken-and-egg type problem --
    imho, you cannot get the knowledge to know what works best, until you've
    experimented, and found the best way.

    a HOWTO document could only generalize. there's nothing stopping a
    badly-written event-driven model or threaded model performing worse than
    that of straight fork()/exec() type stuff.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.020 / U:8.612 seconds]