SubjectRe: [Q]: Linux and real device drivers
On 26 Sep 1999, Nat Lanza wrote:
> David Hinds <dhinds@zen.stanford.edu> writes:
>
> > One suggestion would be to have a set of man pages included in the
> > kernel tree. And try to make them sufficiently useful that people
> > would want to keep them up to date. In this case, I think adding to
> > the kernel tree would be a good thing, because it keeps the
> > documentation in the same place as what it is documenting. I'd be
> > willing to write man pages for a few things myself. The current
> > documentation in the kernel tree is a bit too informal and incomplete.

The GNOME project uses the 'gnome-doc' tool to process specially-marked
comments in the actual source code, and generates info, HTML, docbook,
man pages, or text files as output. I've often thought about suggesting
the import of that tool into the kernel tree as scripts/kernel-doc.

How does that sound? Using a tool which takes comments from the actual
source code increases the likelihood that the documentation will be
up-to-date.

Jeff

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.959 / U:0.048 seconds]