SubjectRe: New Idea? Capture video settings details in Win98/etc. for XFree86 config
  "Stephen D. WIlliams" <sdw@lig.net> writes:
[snip]
> It occurred to me that it is probably possible to write a Win98/NT program
> that can grab those settings from a running system (configured with card
> vendor supplied BIOS/drivers) and save them to a floppy for use in installing
> Linux on that box.
>
> I'm speaking generally about the frequency rates, dot clock settings, and
> other related configuration. Even video mode would be something that would
> allow the Linux system to start with the same video abilities as the original
> OS.
>
> I'd be surprised if this wasn't thought of before; why can't we do this?

Take a look at vgadoc4b.zip (or latest version) as a start for this.
Porting pciutils to dos would be a very usefull thing to do as well.
vgadoc4b.zip gives the webpage:

http://www.datashopper.dk/~finth

(But the newest file dates from Sep 29, 1995 so who knows)
and ftp sites:

ftp.coast.net:/SimTel/msdos/vga/

garbo.uwasa.fi:/pc/doc-hard/

sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk:/packages/simtel/msdos/vga/

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.101 / U:0.068 seconds]