SubjectRe: New Idea? Capture video settings details in Win98/etc. for XFree86 config
On Mon, 13 Sep 1999, Jens Benecke wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 01:25:57AM +0000, Stephen D. WIlliams wrote:
>
> > It occurred to me that it is probably possible to write a Win98/NT
> > program that can grab those settings from a running system (configured
> > with card vendor supplied BIOS/drivers) and save them to a floppy for use
> > in installing Linux on that box.
>
> There was once a (Perl IIRC) Script that extracted this information from
> the registry files, from a mounted (V)FAT partition. I think it was
> mentioned on Freshmeat (a year ago, or something).

What do you even need windows for? If you use the framebuffer system (not
so common on x86, very common elsewhere) you can extract more then enough
info to setup X. Check out http://devel.linuxppc.org/~trini (Yes, it
mentions 0.3, which isn't up, will be RSN). You can get all the video
settings you need w/ a few ioctls. Setting up keyboard/mouse stuff is
currently being done (w/o user intervention, a plus for ease of use) by
reading /etc/sysconfig/{keyboard,mouse} (I'd be very happy to take patches
for debian/anythingelseouthere).

---
Tom Rini (TR1265)
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.113 / U:0.104 seconds]