    SubjectRe: info format (was Re: Linux 2.2.11pre4)
    Date
    Alan Curry sez....

    > What we need is a group of people - not many, just 10 or so - who are willing
    > to write the man pages for things that obviously _should_ have man pages but
    > don't. Like libc6. Let's ask the Linux man-pages maintainer... [added to Cc:
    > line]... Andries, what's your feeling on the direction of section 3 man
    > pages? They currently mostly document libc5, but they are being distributed
    > with systems that use libc6. IMNSHO, distributors who are shipping libc6
    > should be shipping man pages that document libc6. Is there any major effort
    > underway to make a set of man pages that would actually be accurate and
    > complete on a modern Linux system? All the stuff that's in libc.info should
    > be made available in /usr/man/man3 dammit. I know that if this is done, man3
    > will be inherently always a little bit behind, but right now it is WAY behind
    > and it's starting to smell bad.
    >
    > Aside from libc.info, there are also the other info pages - like GNU make,
    > which started this thread, and groff, which is shockingly underdocumented
    > ("This man page only describes the differences between UNIX roff and GNU
    > roff"), and then there's the RedHat Syndrome, in which things like GNOME and
    > utempter appear with no documentation at all...
    >
    > Those of us who want man pages to survive need to organize and start writing
    > them. If such organization has already happened, someone point me to their
    > TODO list so I can get started. If not, let's get going, before it's too late.

    i definitely agree with the need for such good man pages. Unfortunately,
    at the moment i have neither the time nor the wherewithal to undertake such
    a project. However, should a group of people undertake this much needed
    task, i'd like to be kept in the loop.

    Thanks,

    --
    Coy Hile