    SubjectRe: Deletion of big files...
    Alexander Viro wrote:
    > > rm bigfile

    > 1. ranges of ext2 blocks for freeing. Action: mark them free in the
    > bitmap.
    > 2. ext2 indirect blocks for freeing. Action: read the block, go through
    > its contents and feed the appropriate requests into the queue 1 (including
    > the block itself).
    > 3. Ditto for double indirect blocks. Queues being fed: 2 and 1.
    > 4. Triple indirect. Ditto, target queues 3 and 1.
    > 5. Ext2 inodes for freeing. Action: feed appropriate requests to #1--4 and

    Guys, this is all convoluted ways of fighting symptoms. The cause of
    "rm taking a long time" is that the indirect blocks are scattered all
    over the disk.

    Now that can be fixed in two ways.

    One is to allocate the indirect blocks in a way that they are
    clustered together a bit more. On a 1k filesystem, we can speed up
    "rm" a factor of 10 by allocating 10 indirect blocks near eachother.
    That means that the delay of removing a 1G file is still measureable,
    but on the order of 3 to 6 seconds, which is acceptable for handling
    LARGE files.

    Another would be to make ext2fs use "extents". I believe I've heard
    that work is already on its way to do this.
    If we have extents, then a single "indirect" block will most likely
    give us 10 to 100 times more data-blocks that need freeing. Clearing
    the bitmaps might become the bottleneck in that case.

    ** ** ** +31-15-2137555 **
    ------ Microsoft SELLS you Windows, Linux GIVES you the whole house ------

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.021 / U:39.752 seconds]