    SubjectRe: Deletion of big files...
    On Mon, 17 May 1999, Alexander Viro wrote:

    > Hell knows. I can see one thing where it would be a clear win - if we
    > are deep down on free blocks we will be better off taking them from
    > the queue instead of searching through bitmaps. This would require a
    > bit different eater on the blocks queue (different behaviour when fs
    > is low on free space; instead of marking blocks free put them into the
    > small cache where they can be found fast; finding free block would
    > involve checking the cache if we are low on free blocks).

    Why not just queue them onto a kernel thread (i.e krmd) and let it delete
    the files when the system is idle?

    When a user deletes the files, they do disappear, they just get reassigned
    to krmd and that's it as far as the user is concerned. krmd wakes up at a
    suitable free moment and deletes the queued stuff (maybe we can use the
    timeslice interval to delete n amount of stuff and the go back to sleep,
    wake up again delete another n amount).

    "For some of us, horror movies ARE comedies. Doctor Giggles comes to mind"
    - Alex Buell, May 1999.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.020 / U:93.384 seconds]