SubjectRe: [ANN] new mailing list
On Tue, 23 Feb 1999, Rik van Riel wrote:

> Now there's a new list for the discussion of new and
> still alpha-quality patches.

But this is what linux-kernel is for.

> > You're moving the wrong traffic off the list, Rik.
>
> Hmm, what do you think we could do to reduce the traffic
> on linux-kernel? The way it is now it's so busy that it
> actually hampers the debugging of the kernel and helping
> people with problems.

Discipline. And listmasters less polite than DaveM or Matti :)

> It is clear that something has to be done in order to
> avoid this list becoming so clogged up that nobody can
> keep up anymore. If it were 'only' 2k messages/month,
> I think a lot more people would be able to keep an eye
> on the list, thus avoiding the repetetive FAQing when
> a new bug is released...

The Frequently Reported Bugs (of which there were a few
during 2.1) were responsible for a little extra traffic,
but nothing too painful, and that was mostly because vger
was backlogged and messages to the list were taking around
8 hours to get though. More traffic has been taken up with
the "vger is slow" and "my_favourite_mta for vger" threads
than with duplicate bug reports.

Now that they're taking <20 minutes[1], that's no longer
a valid concern, in my opinion.

It's offtopic discussions like this which are responsible
for a lot (I guess not much less than 25%) of the traffic.

I think that most people on this list would happily receive
300 messages a day, if all (or at least the /vast/ majority)
of them were about technical things concerning the linux
kernel.

What is required to get these lists (actually, just _this_
list, really) managable again is a little discipline, of the
sort of which I'm demonstrating a lack by responding to this
mail :)

People have to appreciate that there are other places to
post information - if people are interested in the latest
controversial/fawning writings by Messrs Stallman, Raymond,
Perens, &c, then they'll follow gnu.misc.discuss, slashdot.org
or www.gnu.org. Not starting or contributing to threads
which don't relate pretty directly to kernel development
is about the best way to make this list sane again. (Actually,
merciless moderation is better, but who has /that/ much time?
:)

Matthew.

[1] For me, anyway (but I'm on an exploder :)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.059 / U:2.032 seconds]