SubjectRe: [ANN] new mailing list
On Tue, 23 Feb 1999, Rik van Riel wrote:

> on special request from a few people and because the
> linux-kernel traffic still is too high, I have set up
> a new mailing list:
> linux-testers@nl.linux.org
[snip]
> Please move non-necessary stuff out of linux-kernel and
> onto one of the more appropriate lists!

So you'd have us move all of the on-topic stuff from
linux-kernel onto your lists, leaving only the licence
flamewars, slashdot urls, spam discussion and maybe
the odd bug report? No thanks.

There is a stage at which list granularity becomes a
bad thing. If linux-kernel becomes linux-testers,
linux-bugs, &c. then all that will happen is that
people subscribe to all of the lists or crosspost.

The linux-mm list doesn't seem to have an awful lot of
discussion which doesn't also make it to linux-kernel.
This is admirable for a low-traffic list - allow people
to subscribe to a 10msg/week list instead of 300/day,
but doesn't really reduce load on the vger lists.

You make it harder for people like myself to lurk on
these lists without significantly reducing the work
required to lurk - if someone announces a new and
exciting hack, I'd like to see the announcement and
read the patch. I don't want to be on linux-kernel,
linux-testers, linux-mm and linux-nasty-hacks just
to see the same stuff of interest that I can currently
see on linux-kernel.

You're moving the wrong traffic off the list, Rik.

Matthew
- now only on 25 mailing lists

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.100 / U:2.204 seconds]