    SubjectRe: [ANN] new mailing list
    Matthew Kirkwood <weejock@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk> replied to somebody
    whose reference got lost in editing:
    > > Hmm, what do you think we could do to reduce the traffic
    > > on linux-kernel? The way it is now it's so busy that it
    > > actually hampers the debugging of the kernel and helping
    > > people with problems.
    >
    > Discipline. And listmasters less polite than DaveM or Matti :)

    To be exact, neither of us are really LISTMASTERS, we
    are mostly POSTMASTERS taking care of entire system
    where the lists are running at.

    Now if you truly want it, we can become nasty, and add
    machinery to censor the lists. It is not a trivial
    thing to do, and definitely not without controversy.

    > The Frequently Reported Bugs (of which there were a few
    > during 2.1) were responsible for a little extra traffic,
    > but nothing too painful, and that was mostly because vger
    > was backlogged and messages to the list were taking around
    > 8 hours to get though. More traffic has been taken up with
    > the "vger is slow" and "my_favourite_mta for vger" threads
    > than with duplicate bug reports.

    The *real* problem at VGER was running Anon-CVS,
    which ate way too many cpu cycles from the MTA.
    (And having everything in single disk which was
    very much trashing when the activity was high..)

    > Now that they're taking <20 minutes[1], that's no longer
    > a valid concern, in my opinion.
    > which don't relate pretty directly to kernel development
    > is about the best way to make this list sane again. (Actually,
    > merciless moderation is better, but who has /that/ much time?
    > :)

    Indeed...

    > Matthew.
    > [1] For me, anyway (but I'm on an exploder :)

    For me too, and my workstation is not doing exploding, it
    is just getting its feed like all other .FI recipients..

    /Matti Aarnio <matti.aarnio@sonera.fi>

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:4.476 / U:0.052 seconds]