SubjectLocking a process or thread onto a specific CPU

Is there any way to do this with the 2.2 SMP code? A colleague is implementing
his own language for research purposes and wants, in effect, to schedule his
own threads on the available CPUs. The obvious way to do this seems to be to
run one "real" thread locked onto each CPU. I know that threads will
typically stay on the same CPU they were on anyway, but I can imagine an
ill-timed intervention of a third process (in the case of 2 CPUs) resulting in
both his processes trying to run on the same CPU.

If this is not possible at the moment, can anyone (a) comment on its
feasibility (b) advise us on where to look to implement it or
(c) comment on its desirability as a new feature.

Steve Linton

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.063 / U:1.224 seconds]