SubjectRe: Ext3 Filesystem
I read the fine manuals of the ext3 stuff once as an interested outsider,
I don't currently use it myself. Still:

On Mon, 6 Dec 1999, Brion Vibber wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Dec 1999, Byron R. Stanoszek wrote:
[...]
> > Also, I've read recently about the problems with root seeing journal.dat,
> > being able to modify it, etc. I perfectly agree with making this file a hidden
[...]
> > inode, but I agree to the point where it does not show up in any directory,
> > and is instead a fixed inode number that is 1) a statically set # either on
> > creation of the filesystem,
[...]
> > I feel the file shouldn't actually be part of the directory hierarchy, but
> > stored within an normally-unaccessible portion of the ext2 partition.
>
> I'm not sure how much I like having hidden mysterious things in my
> filesystems that I can't see... of course if I can't see them, I can't

[.. and so on about journal.dat ..]

I was under the impression that journal.dat is only intended to get a
somehow running system. I mean, what you really want is: have the journal
on a separate partition with no filesystem at all. Best of all on a
seperate disk (controller, maybe). And you might want to have one journal
only for all filesystems. So, journal.dat is an intermediate thing,
definitely useful for testing and moving filesystems between ext2 and 3
but not what the enduser will want to have.

So, rather than concentrating on making journal.dat invisible and what,
that is, try to mold a pure intermediate debugging thing into concrete,
rather than that: Fix any outstanding ext3 bugs (out of interest: do
readonly mounts now work?), then add the journal on different partitions
and combined journal of several disk features. This is what you want, not
a hack around an invisible journal.dat file. (Ok, if the rest works, you
may add it somehow for those that really think they need it).

Michael.

--

Michael Weller: eowmob@exp-math.uni-essen.de, eowmob@ms.exp-math.uni-essen.de,
or even mat42b@spi.power.uni-essen.de. If you encounter an eowmob account on