SubjectRe: kiobuf using kernel pages
Hi!

> >> Trying to port the SGI lcrash code to 2.3.26 ix86. It compiles, runs,
> >> traps the oops, starts writing the dump to swap, dies with -EFAULT in
> >> sd_raw_rw. My guess is because the buffer address is c2c00000, i.e. I
> >
> >Firstly if your machine has crashed I wouldnt recommend invoking the scsi
> >disk layer. If your partition info is corrupt or the scsi malloc pool is
> >corrupt you could hit anything.
>
> Agreed. But SGI have gone to the bother of writing a free standing,
> raw i/o SCSI system to "handle" dumps even when the machine has
> crashed, using a pre formatted swap partition. I am not convinced
> myself if it is safe or not, only experience will show. Their patch is
> only against 2.2.13, I'm porting it to 2.3.26 for testing.

There could be semi-safe way to do this:

Pre-fill crash partition with "This is a crash partition" text. Then,
on dump, first read what is written there (for each block) then write
it. That should protect you in most scenarios.

Pavel
--
The best software in life is free (not shareware)! Pavel
GCM d? s-: !g p?:+ au- a--@ w+ v- C++@ UL+++ L++ N++ E++ W--- M- Y- R+