SubjectRe: kiobuf using kernel pagest
On Thu, 11 Nov 1999, Alan Cox wrote:

|>> Considering it's to a swap partition, I doubt there's a problem here.
|>> The SCBs should be doing to the device specified by /dev/vmdump - no
|>> other.
|>
|>The offsets for partitions come from tables in ram. If those are corrupt you
|>splatter the disk.

Not to be too blunt, but how often would you expect this to be the case?
If this happens, you're likely to have already caused problems with
your disk and things would be trashed already. Many versions of UNIX
have used this method of dumping to disk for many, many, many, (should
I go on?), many years with great success. If Linux is the exception to
the rule here, because the scsi tables or malloc pool are corrupted,
then there's something fundamentally wrong with the implementation.

I agree it's a risk, however an _extremely_ small one at best, and I'd
never take odds in Las Vegas on that problem occuring unless intentionally
triggered (in which case, the bet was fixed). :)

--Matt

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.426 / U:0.048 seconds]