    SubjectRe: 2.3.20 will not boot (PCI problem)
    >    Unfortunately, we use the interrupt routing table not only for fixing bad
    > IRQ's, but also for detecting peer host bridges. We could disable this BIOS
    > call by default, make it an option and hope that all new multi-bus machines
    > will provide the $PIR table and handle the rest by chipset-specific kludge.

    You have to handle the PIIX4 by kludge. The $PIR table is set up on the
    basis you are windows and will do this. The BIOS call for getting the table
    is known to fail on a whole pile of BIOSen too. Enough that MS don't use
    it by default.

    On a PC the PIIX4 is provided with a PIIX2 table. Windows loads up a driver
    of its own to handle this when it sees the PIIX2 routing table on a PIIX4.

    It's also worth noting that Microsoft consider it sufficiently unreliable that
    they don't attempt to use any IRQ steering features unless they have to.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.020 / U:6.584 seconds]