SubjectRe: 2.3.20 will not boot (PCI problem)
Hello!

> It's a almost certainly a buggy BIOS.

I agree.

> Martin, let's just change the defaults: NOT call the BIOS by default (and
> maybe have a kernel command line to say "pciirq=bios" for the two people
> who need it and have a working BIOS) because I'll bet this is not going to
> be the only report on machines not booting when more people start testing.
> And it's not as we got the interrupt numbes wrong by just looking them up
> by hand.
>
> Getting a irq wrong occasionally is better than crashing mysteriously at
> boot. A device may not work, but at least it is a lot more debuggable. And
> it's probably (almost certainly) more likely that there are more broken
> 32-bit BIOS interfaces than there are broken machines where we have
> trouble guessing the irq number without the BIOS.

Unfortunately, we use the interrupt routing table not only for fixing bad
IRQ's, but also for detecting peer host bridges. We could disable this BIOS
call by default, make it an option and hope that all new multi-bus machines
will provide the $PIR table and handle the rest by chipset-specific kludge.

Have a nice fortnight
--
Martin `MJ' Mares <mj@ucw.cz> http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~mj/
"A sine curve goes off to infinity or at least the end of the blackboard."