SubjectRe: User vs. Kernel (was: To be smug, or not to be smug, that is , the question)

Jon> Soon, probably within a year or two, a decent, open-source
Jon> next generation OS like Hurd (Microkernel), FluxOS (polymorphic
Jon> virtual machines/nested processes), Dolphin (exokernel), The
Jon> Cache Kernel, or another NGOS will be developed to the point
Jon> where it can step in and cannibalize the guts out of Linux to
Jon> produce a fully-functional NGOS which is suitable for mainstream
Jon> use. With the Univerity of Utah OSKit having been released, this
Jon> process is well underway and accelerating rapidly. At that
Jon> point, then, we all can dump 25+ years of accumulated Unix API
Jon> brokenness and move on to a clean, modern, well-designed OS.

Jon> Linux will then exist only as some sort of NGOS legacy
Jon> compatibility wrapper, like WINE, and the real Linux can
Jon> gracefully fade away into history, its "springboard" role having
Jon> run its course. This is the natural way of things. If you want
Jon> to "fix" Unix/Linux, do it right and rework everything ground-up
Jon> from first principles. Just MHO of course.

Hahahaha, this is clearly the funniest posting on this list this
year. It's so funny I just had to print it and put it up on the wall.

John, just one question: if you belive in that rubbish, why on earth
do you waste your time on this crap old-fashioned operating system
called Linux?

Forget it, people have been trying to design the perfect operating
system to replace UNIX the last 10 years and still people keep coming
crawling back to something that has proved itself to work. All the
cooporate money being put behind Linux now is just not going to be
switched to some vapor OS of the month at the rate they come out.

It's quite amazing actually, UNIX was designed so many years ago and
still they managed to get so many things right .... quite impressive
actually.

Jes

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:5.332 / U:0.288 seconds]