    SubjectRe: User vs. Kernel (was: To be smug, or not to be smug, that is , the question)

    On Thu, Jan 21, 1999 at 02:57:28PM -0800, Jon M. Taylor wrote:

    > That is IMHO a bad idea. Linux, because it follows the
    > traditional Unix monolithic kernel model, is already so obsolete that it
    > really isn't worth putting serious time into incompatible API
    > improvements.

    Hmm, I don't know. Forking one of {Linux,{Free,Net,Open}BSD} or some other
    Open Source OS and redoing the API and some of the guts in a better way
    without being backwardly compatible has its advantages. I agree that
    'monolithic' is on its way out, but very slowly. A monolothic kernel with a
    new API would be an interesting and useful 'toy' even if it never hit the
    mainstream. It would also be a good way of testing API features for future
    more advanced OSs, as monolithic kernels have the advantage of (relative)
    simplicity and widespread comprehension.

    %DCL-MEM-BAD, bad memory
    VMS-F-PDGERS, pudding between the ears

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.086 / U:1.104 seconds]