    SubjectRe: NEWSFLASH! Linux ported to Commodore VIC-20!!
    Alex Buell wrote:

    > On 14 Sep 1998, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    >
    > > In all seriousness, with the processing speed of modern CPUs it
    > > probably would be a no-brainer to support data storage to tape. In
    > > fact, it really isn't very different from the "sound card modem"
    > > stuff (tape adds some funky failure modes that phone lines don't have,
    > > but that can probably be ignored. Of course, all error-correction has
    > > to be forward error correction, since it isn't possible to get
    > > feedback from the receiver. Hmm... if nothing else, this just might
    > > have enough hack value for someone to do it "just because".)
    >
    > If the old Spectrum, ZX81 and BBC B and many others that were around in
    > the early 1980s can do it, then it can be done. I remember the VAX
    > minicomputers had to be booted directly from tape.

    Speaking as a sad git who disassembled the code in the Speccy ROM which
    handled tape I/O, I can confirm that it was really simple stuff. Only a
    couple of hundred bytes of Z80 assembler involved IIRC (it was about 15
    years ago!). And of course, the Spectrum ROM is now publicly available,
    isn't it ?

    The question I guess is: why ? :-)

    Neil

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.021 / U:1.352 seconds]