SubjectCan't format hard disk
I'm using 2.0.34pre14 and I am trying to format a 514M hard disk
with ext2.

I've created a single partition, and tried to format it, to no
avail. I then ran badblocks with write testing, and had no
problems. Once again I formatted, and it failed. Here is the
screen output from my badblocks command, and mke2fs.

4 root@red:/# badblocks -b 4096 -v -w /dev/hdc1 131072
Flushing buffers
Checking for bad blocks in read-write mode
From block 0 to 131072
Writing pattern 0xaaaaaaaa: done
Flushing buffers
Reading and comparing: done
Flushing buffers
Writing pattern 0x55555555: done
Flushing buffers
Reading and comparing: done
Flushing buffers
Writing pattern 0xffffffff: done
Flushing buffers
Reading and comparing: done
Flushing buffers
Writing pattern 0x00000000: done
Flushing buffers
Reading and comparing: done
Flushing buffers
4 root@red:/# mke2fs -c -b 4096 -i 4096 /dev/hdc1
mke2fs 1.10, 24-Apr-97 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
warning: 716 blocks unused.

Linux ext2 filesystem format
Filesystem label=
131072 inodes, 131072 blocks
6589 blocks (5.03%) reserved for the super user
First data block=0
Block size=4096 (log=2)
Fragment size=4096 (log=2)
4 block groups
32768 blocks per group, 32768 fragments per group
32768 inodes per group
Superblock backups stored on blocks:
32768, 65536, 98304

Checking for bad blocks (read-only test): done
Block 0 in primary superblock/group descriptor area bad.
Blocks 0 through 2 must be good in order to build a filesystem.
Aborting....

Here is my partition table info:

The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 1046.
This is larger than 1024, and may cause problems with:
1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., LILO)
2) booting and partitioning software form other OSs
(e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

Disk /dev/hdc: 16 heads, 63 sectors, 1046 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 bytes

Device Boot Begin Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hdc1 1 1 1046 527152+ 83 Linux native

This drive has worked flawlessly for over 2 years. A couple
weeks ago, I backed up the drive, and departitioned it. It has
sat in my machine untouched. I just got around to repartitioning
it, and now I'm getting these complaints.

I was unable to get my 4.3G Quantum to work with Linux until I
put it on the Primary master, and partitioned. Now it works
fine. Must I partition all my hard drives while they are on the
Primary Master all of the time? Is this the problem I'm
experiencing now?

The drive above that I'm trying to format is a 514M drive which
is on my Secondary Master.

Is there possibly a new fdisk or new "something" to allow this
drive to work? I have done other diagnostics including
formatting it in DOS and running an extensive Norton DiskDoctor
analysis. Both Linux badblocks, and NDD have said the drive is
ok. mke2fs disagrees. ;o)

Please help! Thanks.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.031 / U:1.056 seconds]