SubjectRE: Improving Ext2 Reliability
Date
> Given the nature of the data you're caching, the fact that you're allowing
> fsck to blindly proceed with duplicating blocks is a disaster for your
> users. Unless you can verify the integrity of the data stored in the
> cache after an fsck (you should with, say, rpm for any executables that
> fsck notes a fix with, or manual inspection for user data), just plain
> toss the filesystem with mke2fs -- short sweet and painless for cache data
> that's not cleanly unmounted.

The cache takes quite a long time to rebuild and I don't feel like wasting
bandwidth to save 30 minutes :)

> One question: why is your squid box crashing? If it's a kernel problem,
> then we'd *really* like to know the details (esp Alan as he's doing a
> great job of keeping track of 2.0 bug reports).

Ahh, 2.0.33 mishaps. Machine locks up with no messages on the screen. I
replaced just about every peice of it (motherboard, memory, cpu, etc)... no
go. 2.0.34p7 faired better (2 day uptime instead of 1), however it had an
interesting lockup. Console still responded (could switch), but couldn't
type on any of the consoles. Machine stilll ping'ed but was generally
useless. No console debugging messages again. Thought it might have been
init, but I am running the newest version.

I'm finally just scrapping 2.0.x and moving to 2.1.9x so I can at least get
alt-sysrq and some better debugging messages. Hell, 2.1.9x has been more
stable on my development boxes than the 2.0.33+ on my production machines.
:)

Jordan

--
Jordan Mendelson : http://jordy.wserv.com