    SubjectRe: challenge for linux-SMP hackers
    On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, Dan Hollis wrote:

    > On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, DAVID J. WEIS wrote:
    > > Have you tried building a kernel with MCA support? The current patches for
    > > older kernels (2.0.xx) are at
    > > http://glycerine.itsmm.uni.edu/mca/
    >
    > The machine won't even boot linux without MCA support. It works fine in UP
    > mode but not SMP mode.
    >
    > > I don't know what the state of the mca stuff in 2.1.xx is however. If you
    > > would like to ship it to the mca-linux headquarters, I'll split shipping
    > > :-)
    >
    > The machine is as big as a washing machine and very heavy - would
    > probably cost at least $500 to ship.
    >
    > > Try putting together a kernel with MCA support and see how far it gets.
    > > Yell when it dies....
    >
    > It dies in SMP mode when booting. In UP mode it works fine.

    I have an NCR 3430 here with two Pentium 60Mhz processors in it. I tried
    my best to get it to boot Linux in SMP mode one day. However, after a
    couple of discussions with NCR techs (in comp.sys.ncr) and even a message
    from someone at Intel, I found the reason. NCR was doing SMP before the
    Intel SMP specification came out. Therefore its SMP solution is unique
    and Linux (at this time) doesn't support it.

    It would be cool to get it working though!!

    --
    Tom Cross Voice: 320-253-1020 FAX: 320-253-6956
    System Administrator E-mail: tomc@kendeco.com

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.019 / U:0.032 seconds]