    SubjectRe: Linux login security approaches

    On Mon, 7 Dec 1998, Lenart Gabor wrote:

    > We should define a key combination which is unmaskable by ANY process, and
    > login procedures should begin by pressing this combo. However I was told that
    > this is "an NT way" solution, but I disagree. (I don't know anything on
    > NT before I've hopefully never used it :) But the idea is great.

    First: There is allready somthink like that for the X Windows system (at
    least with the XFree86 Server): The Key-Combo Ctrl-Alt-Backspace
    kills the X Server. If useing kdm this couses a new X Server to
    start - with a new login screen. The potential trojan is history.
    AFAIK its not possible for X Clients to trigger this key-combo.

    Second: The "network authentication" stuff is unnaccassery: if you telnet
    to a host you get a _new_ login programm - this one can't be faked
    by a user. For local logins one can use some ctrlaltdel SysV init
    handler to terminate all programms connected to the aktive vc.
    This would have the same effect as the Ctrl-Alt-Backspace stuff
    in X11.

    So long my 0.02 Euro,

    - clifford

    Clifford Wolf (CEO and CTO)
    The ROCK Projects Workgoup IRC: IRCnet / clifford
    e-mail: email:

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.020 / U:82.764 seconds]