    SubjectRe: Linux login security approaches
    On Tue, Dec 08, 1998 at 08:53:12AM +0100, Konrad Rosenbaum wrote:
    > On Mon, 7 Dec 1998, Lenart Gabor wrote:
    > > Beginning with a nice story ...
    > >
    > > Some hours ago we had a discuss on Linux security, here at the University.
    > > I mentioned that Linux has got a weak point : every user can write a fake
    > > login program and even the system administrator can think that it's mgetty
    > > and type the root password :( This kind of Trojan programs can be preceded.
    > > We should define a key combination which is unmaskable by ANY process, and
    > > login procedures should begin by pressing this combo. However I was told that
    > > this is "an NT way" solution, but I disagree. (I don't know anything on
    > > NT before I've hopefully never used it :)
    > The solution may be much more simple than you thought: you don't need to
    > patch the kernel nor userspace:
    > *on console it is (in most cases) enough to press ctrl-c and/or ctrl-d
    > -> this would terminate the cracker-program

    for (i=1;i<32;i++) signal(i,SIG_IGN) or something similar ...

    > *these hacks use one simple approach: you give your login and password,
    > which is stored into a file and then they type out that you were wrong
    > and mgetty restarts -> just login with your name and a _wrong_ password,

    And what about when the cracker proggy uses a for(;;) loop, and
    cracker can use kill -9 to kill it after logging in on another terminal ?

    User can think that he misstyped his password and he would have tried
    again, and his password has been alread logged at this point by the
    evil proggy :(

    And your idea (and even alt-printscreen-k) has got a problem :
    user *CAN* login when he forget to check if it's a trojan (by pressing
    alt-printscreen-k for example). There should be a solution which do not
    allow the begin the login procedure before the key combo !

    "The truth is out there" "We're living together" "The future is dark."
    ---[ 88/422022-4602 ]--[ ]------[ 87/477074 ]---

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.019 / U:1.612 seconds]