SubjectRe: IDE freeze for seconds
On Wed, 2 Dec 1998, Navindra Umanee wrote:

> Too bad harddrives emit such killer noise.

I have noticed that the little drives used by laptops seem to be quieter
but more expensive. You must be careful not to wrap the drive with
anything because it will overheat and this will shorten the life. There is
a computer surplus shop near me and I bought a short (about 1 meter tall)
steel rack with doors on front and rear. It looks nice and has a Formica
top along with castors. I paid a little under $100 for it and it was brand
new. This does a lot to quiet the sound but I now notice that I hear the
fans more than the disk drives.

> Anyone know of sound proof cases?

You can possibly make an enclosure for your systems from wood and line the
inside with scrap carpet. Make sure you have plenty of ventilation ...
convection is your friend ... I would put vents low in the front and high
in the rear. Heat is the enemy of semiconductors.

George Bonser

The Linux "We're never going out of business" sale at an FTP site near you!

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.137 / U:0.312 seconds]