    SubjectRe: ARMS WAVING!!! Proposal to fix /proc dainbrammage.
    On Fri, 23 Oct 1998, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > See? There are no byte order problems with "123.456" - everybody agrees
    > that it is a floating point number somewhere between the integers 123 and
    > 124. And that's regardless of how they represent the actual bits in
    > memory.

    Actually, don't a lot of people think that 123.456 is an integer between
    123000 and 124000, and that 123,456 is a floating point number somewhere
    between 123 and 124? This is the only possible objection I can think of
    to having numbers formatted for humans in /proc, and it is a pretty lame
    objection, but for completelness, I thought it should be pointed out.

    Would it be reasonable to have some kind of format version number in each
    entry in /proc? Perhaps the first line could be an integer that gets
    bumped if the format of that entry is ever changed in a way that would
    not be compatible with non-braindead existing programs? Might as well allow
    for the possibility that the current reorganization of /proc (if it goes
    anywhere...) might not be the last and make it easier on programs that
    want to part things there.

    --Tim Smith

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.019 / U:3.276 seconds]