SubjectRe: ARMS WAVING!!! Proposal to fix /proc dainbrammage.
Date

> I really don't want big endian. I'm used to little endian, and I think
> it's fundamentally wrong to prefer one over the other. So if anything is
> confusing now, it's not getting better by changing the byte order. It
> should just be printed out in a format where byte order doesn't matter.

Personally, I don't care what byte order things are in. I just want to
set some standard that can be adhered to. Big endian was the prototype
I was suggesting because 0x1234 is Decimal 4660, and not 13330.

If we don't have a standard for byte orders, how is the data going to
make sense???

We describe memory addresses in MSB in /proc/xxx/maps, but the data
stored at those addresses is in LSB format.

See what I'm trying to get at?

Without knowing what to expect as an input data type, the output is
useless. The /proc interface should output data in the exact same
format on LSB machines as MSB machines.

> Linus

--Perry

--
Perry Harrington Linux rules all OSes. APSoft ()
email: perry@apsoft.com Think Blue. /\