SubjectRe: ARMS WAVING!!! Proposal to fix /proc dainbrammage.
Followup to:  <>
By author: Linus Torvalds <>
In newsgroup:
> And I'm arguing that when it has structure, we should show the
> _structure_, not the bytes. And when you do that, "byteorder" goes away as
> a problem, because now you see the structure and the ordering is a purely
> structural one rather than some "what order do I deposit bytes in memory
> in?" problem.
> See? There are no byte order problems with "123.456" - everybody agrees
> that it is a floating point number somewhere between the integers 123 and
> 124. And that's regardless of how they represent the actual bits in
> memory.
> Linus

That's bigendian (the high-order digit comes first, or to the left,
because Latin-script text is L->R.) That happens to be pretty much
the only reason why some computers unfortunately use the same ordering
in memory.

I fully agree that it would be utterly idiotic to break numbers down
in their consistent bytes for display.

PGP: 2047/2A960705 BA 03 D3 2C 14 A8 A8 BD 1E DF FE 69 EE 35 BD 74
See for web page and full PGP public key
I am Bahá'í -- ask me about it or see
"To love another person is to see the face of God." -- Les Misérables