SubjectRe: 9G disk, >4 partitions, and lose95
    From: kwrohrer@ce.mediaone.net

And lo, Guest section DW saith unto me:

> From: kwrohrer@ce.mediaone.net
>
> I used Norton Disk Edit (booting DOS 5.0; linux fdisk won't let you
> re-type a partition to 0x5) to change the partition type to 0x5,
>
> The standard Linux command would be
> sfdisk -c /dev/hdb 2 5
> if you want to change the type of /dev/hdb2 into 5 (hex).

This sounds just like:

# fdisk /dev/hdb
fdisk> t
fdisk-t> 2
fdisk-t (L for list)> 5
Error: you can't change a partition to an extended partition.

Yes, that is why I mentioned sfdisk and not fdisk or cfdisk.

Unless "sfdisk" is a "standard" program so new it's not in RH5.1, or
"sfdisk" is just static-linked fdisk and its command-line invocation
is more lax than it's menu-and-prompt version.

No, sfdisk is several years old. It is in util-linux.
I suppose RedHat decided that its user interface was too horrible
to let it loose on the general public, but there are several things
no other fdisk will do for you. Changing the type to and from 5
is one of these.

> If anyone's already working on kernel support for lose95/98's "big"
> extended partitions, please let me know, otherwse I'll start poking
> around. It's starting to become a FAQ in the newsgroups (with no
> good answers!), now that you can get a 9G SCSI drive for <$500 on a
> good day, and a >8G IDE drive for less yet... I think we really,
> really need this in 2.2, if not 2.2.0, otherwise there goes a good
> chunk of our losedows non-combatibility...
>

> Hmm. Can you be more explicit? What support are you looking for
> that is not there already?

When lose95's fdisk makes a big extended partition be "type 0xf",
linux doesn't recognize it as an extended partition (kernel problem),

Hmm.
patch-2.0.34:+#define WIN98_EXTENDED_PARTITION 0x0f
patch-2.1.77:+#define WIN98_EXTENDED_PARTITION 0x0f

Upgrade to a more recent kernel and this problem is solved.

nor does linux fdisk (userspace problem).

Hmm.

# fdisk

Command (m for help): l

0 Empty a OS/2 Boot Manag 65 Novell Netware a6 OpenBSD
1 DOS 12-bit FAT b Win95 FAT32 75 PC/IX a7 NEXTSTEP
2 XENIX root c Win95 FAT32 (LB 80 Old MINIX b7 BSDI fs
3 XENIX usr e Win95 FAT16 (LB 81 Linux/MINIX b8 BSDI swap
4 DOS 16-bit <32M f Win95 Extended 82 Linux swap c7 Syrinx
5 Extended 40 Venix 80286 83 Linux native db CP/M
6 DOS 16-bit >=32 51 Novell? 85 Linux extended e1 DOS access
7 OS/2 HPFS 52 Microport 93 Amoeba e3 DOS R/O
8 AIX 63 GNU HURD 94 Amoeba BBT f2 DOS secondary
9 AIX bootable 64 Novell Netware a5 BSD/386 ff BBT

Upgrade to a more recent fdisk and this problem is solved.

When I edit the partition
table to make that a "type 0x5", lose95 crashes early and often, and
I can't fix lose95, so it's Linux that needs to become aware of the
new extended partition type so it (and its fdisk program) can see and
edit partitions inside the new-type extended partition.

Yes - but fdisk has been aware since util-linux-2.8 and we have
util-linux-2.9 these days.

Andries

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.033 / U:0.472 seconds]