SubjectPatches agains boring^H^H^H^H^H^H 2.0 kernel versions..

On Tue, 8 Jul 1997, Gadi Oxman wrote:

> The driver is released as a kernel patch against Linux 2.0.30.
> raidtools-0.3 can be used to create and repair a RAID-1/4/5 set.

I've noticed that most intresting new development is done on 2.0 kernels.
I assume that this is because developers would like to have a stable base
for sanity reasons and because they are released less often.. (Hard to hit
a moving target).. Unfortunatly this makes it more difficult to add these
patches to 2.1 kernels (exception handling etc.), also, it detracts from
overall kernel testing with 2.1.x kernels.. (I have a few machines that
are for testing.. But only one of them do I really have the time to
pound).. This also encourges new feature to be added to 2.0 kernels (since
they are available there only) which is bad for stibility.

So, maby it would be a good idea to declare a
'Mostly-Stable-Unstable-Kernel'.. People making funkey new patches for
linux (I.e. genetic fork routienes, soft raid-5) can target for that
kernel.. Then it's less of a leap to the rest of the development.. Also,
maby when the MSUK version changes maby some could produce a changelog to
help developers switch versions..

Would 2.1.36 be a good canidate?

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.151 / U:0.264 seconds]